Bachelor of Healthcare Administration (BHA)
What is healthcare administration?
Healthcare administration is the study of management theory, practice, skills, and attitudes applied to healthcare organizations. Unique characteristics of healthcare organizations include medical staffs, third party payers, and trusting customers. Healthcare organizations are in the business of caring.
Why pursue a degree in healthcare administration?
- Because you are a compassionate person and want to make a difference in the lives of others by pursuing a career in a growing service industry.
- Because you want career opportunities in the largest industry in the U.S.
- Because you want excellent earning potential -- according to U.S. Bureau of Labor statistics, salaries for entry-level healthcare managers were up to $48,300 with senior executives earning significantly more.
- Because you want career flexibility including not only careers in healthcare management, but also careers in pharmaceuticals, health insurance, patient billing, and state and federal agencies.
- Because you want to pursue graduate education in healthcare administration, public health, business administration, law, and other disciplines.
Why pursue a degree in healthcare administration at Texas State?
- Because the BHA program has been fully certified by the Association of University Programs in Health Administration (AUPHA) since 1990.
- Because the BHA program has a large, award-winning, and nationally-known faculty accessible to students.
- Because Texas State is one of the most affordable universities in Texas.
- Because Texas State has a graduate program in healthcare administration accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Health Management Education (CAHME).
What organizations are available to students majoring in healthcare administration?
The School of Health Administration encourages student participation in a wide range of professional organizations including the American College of Healthcare Executives, the Healthcare Financial Management Association, the Medical Group Management Association, as well as the student organization Healthcare Leadership Coalition and the healthcare management national honor society Upsilon Phi Delta.
What subjects will I be taking if I major in healthcare administration?
- Healthcare Organizations.
- Healthcare Ethics.
- Healthcare Administration History, Culture, and Language.
- Healthcare Supervision.
- Health Information Systems.
- Healthcare Training and Development.
- Healthcare Human Resources.
- Healthcare Employment Law.
- Healthcare Accounting and Financial Management.
- Healthcare Law.
- Healthcare Quality Improvement and Patient Care.
- Healthcare Marketing.
- Healthcare Strategic Management.
- Healthcare Field Placement.
Undergraduate Admission Requirements?
Please click here for the admissions information and requirements.
Dr. Lloyd Greene
Senior Lecturer & BHA Program Director
School of Health Administration
Health Professions Bldg, 255