Program Admissions Info & Requirements
Undergraduate Student Admission Profile
|Undergraduate Student Admission Profile|
|Radiation Therapy Program|
|Entering Class of:||2013||2014||2015||2016||2017|
|Mean GPA of Applicants||3.26||3||3.27||3.37||3.43|
|Mean GPA of Admitted||3.4||3.5||3.61||3.17||3.55|
|Specific Program Requirements|
|Pre-requisite Overall GPA||2.75||2.75||2.75||2.75||2.75|
|Satisfactory completion of all general education requirements (C or better)|
|* See Admissions / Programs Admissions Information for a complete list of admission requirements.|
|* The MEAN grade point averages listed does not represent the entire range for students admitted. Individual grade point averages may be lower and higher than the mean.|
Program Director - Dr. Ronnie Lozano
Note: Students who have completed an Associate Degree or Certificate in Radiation Therapy can receive credit toward the Bachelor of Healthcare Administration degree with a major Healthcare Administration, see the Department of Health Administration in university catalog.
1. Admission to Texas State
2. Satisfactory completion of all general education requirements and a minimum overall grade point average of 2.75.
3. Any student who did not complete at least two years of the same foreign language in high school is required to take 6-8 hours of the same foreign language.
4. Applicants must have a Science GPA of 3.0 or higher. No more than 2 attempts on any one science course is permitted (1 repeat). Courses included in the Science GPA computation include:
- BIO 1320 or BIO 1330
- BIO 1421 or BIO 1331 and BIO 1131
- BIO 2430
- AT 3358
- CHEM 1341
- CHEM 1141
- PSY 1300
- MATH 2417 or MATH 2471
- PHYS 1320, PHYS 1315, or PHYS 1325
- PHYS 1110, PHYS 1115, or PHYS 1125
- HP 3302, PSY 2301, SOCI 3307, MATH 2328, or CJ 3347
5. See Academic Services section of the catalog for course options that satisfy literature components.
6. Completion of an application packet for admission.
7. Three letters of reference and a career goal statement.
8. Successful interview of selected candidates with admission committee.
9. 40 hour clinical observation with completed evaluation on file by Jan. 15.
10. Students must be able to perform the 13 Technical Standards indicated by the American Disabilities Act (refer to program website or department for more information).
11. Previous misdemeanor or felony convictions will affect admission to the program.
Each applicant must complete and provide the following by January 15.
The Radiation Therapy Program is committed to accepting the best qualified candidates without regard to gender, religion, age, race and other demographic factors.The admissions committee shall be charged with screening applicants, reviewing and evaluating application files, interviewing the applicants, rating and ranking each candidate to establish a new class of a maximum of 16 students
The applicant evaluation process shall consist of three major parts 1) an application, records and file evaluation 2) a personal interview evaluation 3) the compiling of ratings to formulate a ranking order among the applicant pool. Departmental guidelines and selection criteria shall be provided to each committee member for each process.
American Disabilities Act – Technical Standards
In order to fulfill the requirements of the Radiation Therapy Program, student must be able to:
• Communicate in a clear and concise manner to patients and personnel.
• Read and apply appropriate instructions in patient charts, notes, and records.
• Lift 30 pounds of weight from the floor to shoulder height.
• Move immobile patients from a stretcher to a treatment couch or table.
• Push a patient in a standard wheelchair.
• Have good strength in both upper extremities
• Use good body mechanics to bend, stretch, reach, stoop, kneel, and twist in performance of job duties.
• Reach overhead up to 6 feet off the floor.
• See in dim light.
• Visually monitor patients via video monitors.
• Monitor patients via audio monitors.
• Distinguish equipment and background sounds and hear a variety of pitches.
• Utilize a keyboard to input data.