Dr. Jessica Hillyer, PhD, is the Research Coordinator for the College of Health Professions. She received her B.A. in Pre-Med and Psychology, M.A. in Psychology, and her Ph.D. in Experimental Psychology from Kent State University.
Dr. Hillyer comes to Texas State from South University where she was the Institutional Review Board Director of Training and Compliance. Prior to her time at South University, Dr. Hillyer was a Post-doctoral Fellow at the University of Louisville and the University of British Columbia. While at the University of Louisville, she was selected for a prestigious research internship at the Kentucky Spinal Cord Injury Research Center. She is an experienced Program Director with a demonstrated history of working in the higher education industry.
In her professional career, she has been relied on as an exceptional writer, editor and idea generator. Dr. Hillyer also facilitated the publication of a special edition of the Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. She has been a college professor and authored a NIH Program Project Grant for the University of Louisville hospital system and has contributed to clinical research projects. Dr. Hillyer is a member of the Society for Neuroscience, American Psychological Association, Texas Psychological Association and the International Honors Society for Social Sciences.
Dr. Hillyer is housed on the Round Rock campus.
Top 10 Reasons to Know YOUR Research Coordinator
The responsibilities of each Research Coordinator (RC) are determined by the pre- and post-award needs of their College; most report to the Associate Dean of Research. One common responsibility is that we are all here to help faculty create winning proposals!
- YOUR Research Coordinator supports increasing the quantity AND quality of proposal submissions… leading to more awards.
- YOUR Research Coordinator serves as a liaison to the Office of Sponsored Programs, Office of Research Development, and other University offices to support preparing research proposals and administering awards.
- YOUR Research Coordinator can suggest potential research partners within your College and across the University to increase multidisciplinary research initiatives.
- YOUR Research Coordinator will help identify potential funders aligned with your research interests and provide brief one-on-one demonstrations of various funding search engines.
- YOUR Research Coordinator wants to share your passion and help strategize, shape, and sell your idea in a fundable research proposal.
- YOUR Research Coordinator is available to help whether you are a Principal Investigator (PI), Co-PI, or consultant… we are here for you!
- YOUR Research Coordinator creates processes and tools to assist with submitting quality proposals (i.e. boilerplate language, proposal checklists, budget justification templates).
- YOUR Research Coordinator can serve as a “first reviewer” of final document drafts by
- reviewing drafts against RFP requirements/selection criteria and for clarity
- editing/proofreading drafts for layout, content, style, syntax, grammar, spelling, and punctuation
- YOUR Research Coordinator creates processes and tools to assist with administering an award.
- YOUR Research Coordinator can help when you get stuck. Use the 10-minute rule: if you cannot find the information you need, start with us for all your pre- and post-award questions.
YOUR Research Coordinator/OSP Pre-Award Team:
College of Health Professions - Dr. Jessica Hillyer, PhD 6-2993 or jeh221
Office of Research and Sponsored Programs - Alexandra (Alex) Smith 5-4625 or as55