Minor in HIM
Health Information Management (HIM) is the profession dedicated to the effective management of patient information and healthcare data needed to deliver quality treatment and care to the public. The fundamentals of the HIM profession continue to evolve over time, becoming less paper-based and increasingly electronic. HIM plays a critical role in the successful implementation of electronic health records (EHR) and ensures that providers, healthcare organizations, and patients have access to the right health information when and where it is needed while maintaining the highest standards of data integrity, confidentiality and security. The minor in Health Information Management is designed to enhance other degrees on which students are working.
Specific objectives for the HIM minor are:
- to develop and demonstrate an understanding of the changing informational needs of the patient, the providers of health care, researchers and educators;
- to develop and demonstrate awareness of the technologies and equipment affecting information acquisition, maintenance, storage and retrieval;
- to recognize the role of information in the provision of quality healthcare;
- to recognize and understand the differences in health information systems in the various healthcare environments; and
- to be able to apply basic HIM theory in practical applications.
Required courses for the HIM minor are:
HIM 3350 Legal Aspects of HIM
HIM 3463 Introduction & Technical Aspects of HIM *
HIM 3380 Quality Improvement Regulations & Procedures
HIM 3390 HIM Departmental Management & Relationships
HIM 4331 Analysis & Interpretation of Healthcare Data
HIM 4363 Comparative Record Systems
HIM 4385 HIM Practicum *
* HIM 3463 must be taken curing first semester of enrolling in HIM courses.
* HIM 4385 is to be taken in the final semester of HIM coursework.
HIM academic advising is required to assure appropriate sequencing and progression requirements are maintained.
NOTE: Completion of the HIM minor does not meet eligibility requirements for the R.H.I.A. (Registered Health Information Administrator) certification examination offered by the American Health Information Management Association.
For more information contact:
Encino Hall 310B