Skip to Content


What is a Communication Disorder?

A communication disorder affects an individual's ability to hear, speak, understand, read, and/or write. The various types of communication disorders an individual can exhibit include: fluency, articulation, voice, swallowing, cognitive, and language disorders.

Which Professionals Assess and Treat Individuals Exhibiting Communication Disorders?

Speech-language pathologists diagnose and treat communication disorders. Speech pathologists are employed in a variety of settings including: public schools, hospitals, rehabilitation centers, nursing care facilities, community clinics, colleges and universities, private practice, health departments, home care, adult day care centers, and research laboratories. Speech-language pathologists also assess and treat swallowing disorders, cognitive-communication disorders, and auditory processing disorders.

CAA Logo