Graduate Admissions Info & Requirements
Visit the Graduate College CDIS page for additional information on admission to the CDIS graduate program.
|Fall Semester||January 15||January 15|
|Spring Semester||No Admission||No Admission|
|Summer||No Admission||No Admission|
|Summer Midterm||No Admission||No Admission|
This program has a firm deadline. If the program is not listed as an option on ApplyTexas for a given semester, applicants may no longer apply for the program for that term. Applicants with incomplete files after the deadline will be denied admission. In order to apply for admission consideration for future terms, applicants must submit a new application, fee, and updated support documents.
Graduate course descriptions for this program may be viewed online in the Graduate College.
The Dept of Communication Disorders does not schedule individual visits for prospective leveling or graduate students, due to the high volume of requests. We will hold a Graduate Information Day in Fall 2018, where applicants to our leveling and graduate programs can meet faculty and current students. If you wish to be notified by email when Graduate Information Day is scheduled, please send your request to email@example.com.
The following documents must be RECEIVED by the specified administrative staff by January 15 and April 1 for Leveling Students:
- For information regarding accreditation of the Communication Disorders program, please visit http://www.asha.org/edfind/details.aspx?id=Gm0eOC8nccQgz2iHRA0SwQ==.
|Degree||Hours||Thesis Option||Minor Option|
|MA||39 hours||Thesis||Cognate required|
|MSCD||36 hours||Non-Thesis||Cognate required|
|GRADUATE PROGRAM ADMISSIONS PROFILE||2015 Cohort||2016 Corhort|
|CDIS Mean GPA of Accepted Applicants||3.97||3.93|
|Overall Mean GPA of Last 60 Hours of Accepted Applicants||3.94||3.9|
|DEMOGRAPHICS OF ACCEPTED GRADUATE APPLICANTS||2015 Cohort||2016 Cohort|
Dear Graduate Applicants,
Please be aware that incoming graduate students for Fall 2018 should complete most of their missing coursework before they begin at Texas State. See below for more specific information.
- Graduate students are required to have completed undergraduate CDIS-related courses, specifically Neurology, Aural Rehabilitation, Hearing Science and Anatomy and Physiology, which are prerequisites to graduate courses.
- The Texas State CDIS graduate program requires applicants to have taken two separate disorder courses in the CDIS major prior to enrolling at Texas State, due to the immediate placement in clinical practicum during the first semester.
- Incoming graduate students are strongly encouraged to complete the ASHA-required undergraduate courses in Biology, Physics or Chemistry, Social/Behavioral Sciences, and Statistics prior to enrollment, due to the intense nature of the graduate courses and clinical practicum.
- The Texas State CDIS graduate program requires students to complete a Lifespan course to ensure that the ASHA lifespan requirements are fully met.
- Some missing courses may be completed at Texas State in the summer before beginning graduate school if they are offered. Incoming graduate students may also take these courses at another university with the approval of the Graduate Advisor.
Admission Policy for Leveling Students
Individuals who have undergraduate degrees in majors other than communication disorders should apply to the Graduate College to complete the required background work. The number of hours of background work required is determined in consultation with the Communication Disorders Graduate Advisor, Celeste Domsch, and is dependent on the courses taken at the undergraduate level. Upon successful completion of the required background work, applicants may apply for admission to the regular graduate sequence for a fall semester. Successful completion of the background requirements in the Department of Communication Disorders at Texas State DOES NOT GUARANTEE admission to the graduate program in Communication Disorders. It is strongly recommended that students apply to multiple graduate programs during the completion of their background coursework.
The application deadline for students wanting to complete their background coursework here at Texas State is April 1st of every year.